Friday, December 30, 2011

Carrie Bradshaw Got It Right!!!

Soul mates.  We all want to find ours.  With all the movies, books and songs out there about love, it’s hard not to become a hopeless romantic.  We want that someone that we can have fun with, cry with, argue with, and celebrate with.  We NEED that someone.
However, what most of us don’t realize is that you’ve probably already found that person, your soul mate.  The beautiful and wise Carrie Bradshaw once said “Maybe our girlfriends are our soul mates, and guys are just people to have fun with.”  Well I’d have to say that she is absolutely right…except that there is no “maybe” about it!
My friends are some of the most important people in my life.  They are the ones that comfort me when I’m having a hard time.  They laugh with me when I make a fool of myself.  They support me when I want to try something new.  They are the ones I can count on for anything I might need.  They are the reason I am who I am today. 
The reason I decided to write about this today is that I get to spend the next 2 days with two of the best friends I’ve ever had. My best friend from high school is in New York City and I haven’t seen her in about 5 months!  I’ve known her since 7th grade and through all the changes in our lives we have continued to be great friends.  She is a beautiful, intelligent, and kind person and I’m so lucky to have her in my life.  I’m so excited to spend the day with her around the city!
Although I won’t be spending New Year’s Eve with her, tomorrow I will be on a flight to Miami, Florida in order to support my brother and the Clemson Tigers in the Orange Bowl.  Luckily for me, my best friend (and my soul mate) from college will be in Florida as well!  Although she’s staying in Naples, she is going to be driving 2 hours to come spend New Years with my family and me.  This girl is beyond amazing.  She understands me better than anyone.  We became close after moving in together and we remained roommates for 3 years.  She’s the type of friend that we can look at each other across a room and pretty much know what the other is thinking.  She has been there for me through so many rough times and I’m so thankful for her.  She is beautiful, fun, strong, and loving.  If you know both of us, you understand that we just click!
Now girls always want to find a guy that they just “click” with, but why look for something that you already have?  I’m not saying that I don’t want to find a guy to spend the rest of my life with.  As much as I love my friends, I don’t want to marry them.  What I mean is for now, I have a few people to laugh, cry, and argue with.  If one day I’m lucky enough to find another person to join that group then that’s great.  But I certainly don’t need him right away. 

(And when I do find that guy, he will understand that the title of “soul mate” is already taken! )

This is me with my best friend from high school, Lauren!
Me with my Soul Mate, Lizzy!
Our Sex in the City group, but we're not in the city! Emily, Lizzy, Me, and Haley!
Another best friend from high school! Me and Stephanie!

No comments:

Post a Comment