Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I'm A Big Kid Now!: Preparing for Interviews!

Hey Ya'll!! 
So I am in graduate school and am expected to graduate next December! I know a few of you other bloggers are graduating soon also...but even if you aren't, it's always good to know what to expect on an Interview!

I decided to write about this today because I went on an interview yesterday for a Summer Internship!  I think it went really well but now I just have to wait to hear back! Prayers are very much appreciated!  Anyways...here are a few tips I think people should follow when preparing for an interview:

1. It's better to be over-dressed than under-dressed.  I know everyone knows you're supposed to dress up for interviews but it isn't as easy as it may seem.  If you are not sure how formal the company is then I would recommend wearing a suit!  You can never go wrong with a suit.  However, before my interview they told me they were a casual office so feel free to dress comfortably.  In this case I stuck with a simple pencil skirt, blouse, and flats.  Overall you should use your best judgement but just be sure to dress to impress!

2. Be careful what you have posted on the internet!!! During my interview they informed me that they Googled my name!! Ahh! I'd heard some people did that but was still surprised when they said they'd done it!  Luckily for me the only interesting thing they found was that I like to tell Math Jokes!! It ended up being a great conversation starter!!


3. Prepare by thinking of answers to potential interview questions.  Here are a few questions that they asked me:
    -What was the best/worst thing about your school?
    -Describe a time when you were the lone champion at something...
    -Describe a time when you had to persuade someone to do something that they normally wouldn't consider...
    -What is your weakness and what are you doing to become better at it?
    -What event in your life are you most proud of?
    -Describe a time when you solved a problem using a solution that wasn't an obvious solution...
    -What was the hardest/worst feedback you have ever received from anyone?
    -Is there anything you would do different looking back at your time in college?

4. Be sure to prepare questions to ask them!  They always ask if you have questions so make sure you have something to say!!  This is easily done by just researching the company!  If you read over their website or just type the company name into Google you are sure to find a lot of information that you can ask about.  There's also the obvious question such as "What would my duties include?", "What kind of opportunities are there for advancement?", or "What kind of traits do you look for in an employee?".  I usually try to create a list of about 10 questions to ask.  These don't all have to be "professional" questions either... Feel free to ask about what kind of activities they have for employees, etc.  For example, I asked about the different charities they sponsor and how they get their employees involved with them.

5. And most importantly, be yourself!!! They want to see if they could handle working with you everyday... I know it's hard to not be nervous but try your best to laugh, tell jokes, and make conversation when appropriate!


I hope this helps as you prepare to become a big kid and start an "Adult" job!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment